top of page

Stray Services

What to do if you find a Stray

It is important that stray animals be taken to a shelter where a owner may come to look for them.


The local radio station WCSR hosts a daily Pet Rescue program. We recommend you call the station at (517)437-4444 and check to see if someone has reported the pet missing.  The program runs at 9:25 a.m. (Monday-Saturday) and weekdays at 5:45 p.m. You may fill out a missing animal report to be read "on-air" at

Hillsdale County - Stray Dogs

Hillsdale County does not have a contract with the Greater Hillsdale Humane Society to take in stray dogs. The contract belongs to Branch County Animal Control. Therefore, the finder must call the Hillsdale County Sheriff's Department at (517)437-7317 and they should arrange for the Animal Control Officer to pick up the dog for you.


If the finder is willing to pay the $35.00 intake fee, we may be able to take the dog instead of calling the sheriff's department. Please call the shelter at for additional information. 

Hillsdale County - Stray  Cats

If the finder is willing to pay our intake fee of $50.00, they are welcome to bring the cat into the humane society and surrender it as their own.

Any person bringing in a stray dog or cat to the GHHS must provide a valid photo identification. Furthermore, per state law, to relinquish any animal you must bring a photo ID. We hold strays for a minimum of 48 hours or longer. If the pet is not reclaimed, it will go through our regular adoption process.

We may be limited on space so please call the shelter for more information.

Please note: We require payment for any animal we take in due to the fact that we do not receive any government funding.

bottom of page